Taxpayer Bill of Rights: The ten rights of every taxpayer
America’s taxpayers have specific rights when they interact with the IRS. These ten rights are known collectively as the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
These rights cover a wide range of topics and issues and lay out what taxpayers can expect in the event they need to work with the IRS on a personal tax matter. This includes when a taxpayer is filing a return, paying taxes, responding to a letter, going through an audit or appealing an IRS decision.
Here are the rights outlined in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights
1. The Right to Be Informed
2. The Right to Quality Service
3. The Right to Pay No More than the Correct Amount of Tax
4. The Right to Challenge the IRS’s Position and Be Heard
5. The Right to Appeal an IRS Decision in an Independent Forum
6. The Right to Finality
7. The Right to Privacy
8. The Right to Confidentiality
9. The Right to Retain Representation
10. The Right to a Fair and Just Tax System